At least 10 students of Ebonyi State University, EBSU, Abakaliki, fell ill after allegedly eating African salad, popularly known as abacha. grapevine learnt that the students developed vomiting and loose motion after eating the African salad meal. Some of them showed symptoms of nausea, a source said.

The students have been hospitalized at the Federal Teaching Hospital, Abakaliki, FETHA.

The students, studying at the College of Agricultural Science, CAS campus of the university, were rushed to the hospital when their health condition started deteriorating as it was gathered that the delicacy was infected with cholera-causing bacteria.

Confirming the incident, the Director of Rural Health, Ministry of Health, Dr. Christian Achi, said the food was infected from the activities of flies within the environment.

He said: “This is a case of cholera; the food they ate was already infected, following the activities of flies that go around perching on food items and dirty substances.

“I want to urge the people of the state to cook and eat in their homes; they should not expose their food and cooking utensils to flies. They should maintain hygiene and avoid dirty environment.”

Stay updated with all Nigeria University news, Polytechnic news, Post-Utme and more; Join/Like Us now on Facebook and Twitter

Don’t forget to share this news with your friends using the Share buttons below….

About the author


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.