Report reaching news desk has it that, the Federal Government on Monday shared N100bn to the federal and state universities as the balance of the N200bn revitalisation fund for 2013.

Minister of Education, Nyesom Wike, presented the allocation letters to the institutions’ vice-chancellors in Abuja, where he urged them to spend the money according to the NEEDS Assessment report.

The N200bn was contained in the Memorandum of Understanding signed with the Academic Staff Union of Universities in December to end the almost six months strike.

The earlier N100bn had been disbursed by the Governor Gabriel Suswam-led committee that intervened in the ASUU/Federal Government dispute before Vice-President Namadi Sambo and President Goodluck Jonathan intervened.

Independent findings by our correspondent revealed that the federal universities shared 80 per cent of the money, while state-government-owned universities shared the remaining 20 per cent.

Based on the NEEDS Assessment Report, there are 27 federal universities, as against 34 state universities. Some states have two universities.

Wike, at the event, announced that the ministry would convene a stakeholders’ forum at each of the six geopolitical zones for all the Federal Government owned tertiary institutions to give account of their stewardship.

He, however, said the exercise would not be an audit of their financial expenditure, but a public sensitisation of what the institutions had done with the allocations.

He said, “It is imperative for the public to know how much government is investing in the country’s tertiary education and correct the impression that it is neglecting the sector.” grapevine reveal that, The exercise would begin from March 4, with institutions in the North Central Zone meeting at the Federal College of Agriculture, Makurdi, Benue State.

The South-South would follow on March 10, at the University of Port-Harcourt, while that of the South East zone would hold at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, on March 11.

Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, would host the North-West zone, while institutions in the South-West would converge on the University of Ibadan on a date yet to be announced.

Meanwhile, Wike told reporters that the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics and their Colleges of Educatiion Academic Staff Union counterparts would soon suspend their strikes.

Stay updated with all Nigeria University news, Polytechnic news, Post-Utme and more;
Join/Like Us now on Facebook and twitter

Don’t forget to share this news with your friends using the Share buttons below…

About the author


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.