TRAGEDY struck this morning when fire gutted the W1 female hostel of the university of Uyo, destroying property worth millions of naira.

The fire caused pandemonium in the hostel. grapevine learnt that Carelessness on the part of one of the student who must had left the gas cooker opened without igniting the flame and must had gone to answer  call and only for her to come back and strike the match which resulted to this unfortunate thing. Pitiful though, this will seriously affect other innocent ones in the said hostel.

The scene of the inferno

The scene of the inferno


One of the occupants, who craved anonymity, said, “Around 11am, I was reading in my friend room  when I saw students running all over the place. When I got to the hostel, I noticed that it was on fire. We tried to put out the fire but it was so intense that it soon spread.

More details shortly…..

Stay updated with all Nigeria University news, Polytechnic news, Post-Utme, Jamb Results and more; Join/Like Us now on Facebook and twitter

Don’t forget to share this news with your friends using the Share buttons below…

About the author


1 Comment

  • it wasn’t as a result of gas and matches situation at all because it is well adhered to by student never to cook in the hostels. It was and electrical surge. we don’t cook in our hoatels.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Fatal error: Uncaught wfWAFStorageFileException: Unable to save temporary file for atomic writing. in /home/pauljosef/ Stack trace: #0 /home/pauljosef/ wfWAFStorageFile::atomicFilePutContents('/home/pauljosef...', '<?php exit('Acc...') #1 [internal function]: wfWAFStorageFile->saveConfig('livewaf') #2 {main} thrown in /home/pauljosef/ on line 35