The sister of the 300-level Accounting student of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) who was electrocuted last Tuesday, Uju Anekwe, at the weekend gave a vivid account of the last moments of her sister, Oluchi before the sad incident.

They were together during the incident in Akoka, the university campus. Uju is a 200-level student of Medicine in the university.

Uju, who was injured in the incident, came down from the family’s apartment with her friend. She walked gently, limping on her left leg. She had bruises below her nose and on her right arm.

Oluchi Anekwe

Oluchi Anekwe

She said: “It had been long that I visited her on Akoka campus, since I moved to the College of Medicine in Idi-Araba. That Tuesday, I visited her and she told me to meet her at the University Chapel, because she was attending a Catholic mass. I saw her bag full of books. She was supposed to write ICAN exam next week.

“We left the chapel to New Hall to buy popcorn. When we got there, the vendor was repairing the popcorn machine. We told him we would come back. We stopped nearby the popcorn vendor to buy 3-in-1 bracelets. Then, I told her to let us wait for the popcorn but she said she was going back to church for Catholic students’ meeting. It was a few minutes past 7pm.

“We came out of New Hall gate and standing on the road. I told her we should go to her room but she was adamant, saying I should give her one of the bracelets that we bought a moment earlier. As I was about opening my bag, I heard a loud bang and we were thrown apart. All I could remember at that moment was that I was shouting and screaming for help.

“I noticed electric sparks of white blue light. It all happened within microseconds. I initially lost consciousness. When I regained my consciousness, I saw people running away from us. I tried to stand up but I could not, because I was still feeling electrical shock in my body. As I turned, I saw my sister (Oluchi) with the electric cable around her leg.

“I don’t know where I got the energy; I got up and screamed for help. Nobody came to our rescue. One man came later and he single-handedly pulled Oluchi away from the cable. Others came and stopped a taxi and rushed her to the Medical Centre within the campus. I joined another taxi.

“When we got there, we didn’t receive immediate attention until 30 minutes after. She could have stayed alive a little longer if the doctor had attended to her. The doctor did not even show sympathy and care. They only offered to give me a drip but they left my sister unconscious.

“As a medical student, I knew my sister needed urgent attention, but the people in the clinic seemed helpless. I told them I would not allow them to give me the drip until they attended to my sister. Later, one of the nurses brought two tablets of Panadol. We stayed for some time before they brought an ambulance to take my sister to LUTH.”

Uju blamed the school for not providing facilities at the clinic, saying: “The Medical Centre does not even have a toilet roll. What does the school provide for the Medical Centre to cope with emergency?

Stay updated with all Nigeria University news, Polytechnic news, Post-Utme, Jamb Results and more; Join/Like Us now on Facebook and twitter

Don’t forget to share this news with your friends using the Share buttons below…

About the author


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Fatal error: Uncaught wfWAFStorageFileException: Unable to save temporary file for atomic writing. in /home/pauljosef/ Stack trace: #0 /home/pauljosef/ wfWAFStorageFile::atomicFilePutContents('/home/pauljosef...', '<?php exit('Acc...') #1 [internal function]: wfWAFStorageFile->saveConfig('livewaf') #2 {main} thrown in /home/pauljosef/ on line 35