Report reaching liveschoolnews.org news desk has it that, A 200-level political science student of the University of Abuja, Chiwendu Okafor, died after allegedly consuming a local substance called sniper (poison).
After several minutes, liveschoolnews.org grapevine gathered that, the student collapsed and died on the way to a hospital.
A course mate of the deceased, who pleaded anonymity while speaking to liveschoolnews.org grapevine, said the deceased bought the sniper, saying he would use it to kill mosquitoes but eventually used it on himself.
“Okafor was a lively person and well known in the Political Science Department; why he took the poison we cannot tell,’’ he said.
Meanwhile, Students of the University on Thursday staged a protest, accusing the University’s Teaching Hospital, Gwagwalada, of negligence, which allegedly caused his death.
Some of the students, who spoke during the protest, said the deceased was found in his hostel secreting foams from his mouth and was rushed to the hospital for medical attention.
The Chief Medical Director, University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Dr Peter Alabi, told Our Correspondent that Okafor was brought to the hospital dead.
He said the doctor, who was on duty at the casualty on May 21, confirmed him dead and referred his remains to be kept in the mortuary.
Alabi said the medical record of Okafor described him as “a lifeless young man, an undergraduate, brought to the hospital in a car.”
“They did not bring him down from the car with secretion from his mouth,’’ he said.
Alabi said there was no issue of negligence on the part of the hospital.
He said the Federal Government, through the Ministry of Health, had a policy that anybody brought to the casualty should be given all attention.
The CMD said the policy also required that even if it was obvious that the doctors would need a police report, the patient must first be attended to.
May his soul rest in peace.
Don’t forget to share this news with your friends using the Share buttons below…