Lackadaisical attitude of medical staff in various hospital in the country need to be look into, many lives would have been saved if the basic principle of ethics in medical line is being follow by our health officials. What will it cost any hospital to give a first aid and attention to dying patient that is helpless?. God help us…

Nkem Anekwe, the elder sister of Oluchi Anekwe, a first-class student of the University of Lagos, who was on Tuesday electrocuted by a high-tension wire, says the negligence of the UNILAG Medical Center caused the death of her younger sister.

She also said the high-tension wire, which caused the death of Oluchi also fell on her younger sister, Uju Anekwe, but she survived the encounter.

This is just as the National Association of Nigerian Students, South-West zone, said it would sue the electricity distribution company for the death.

Photo Credit: Punchng

Photo Credit: Punchng

Nkem told our correspondent that Uju, a student of the College of Medicine, Idi Araba, was injured by the cable and was also hospitalised. She added that the young lady had been discharged and was recuperating at home.

PUNCH Metro had reported that academic activities at the university were paralysed on Wednesday as students of the institution protested against the death of Oluchi, a 300-Level student of the Department of Accounting.

Twenty-two-year-old Oluchi and her sister were returning from an evening Mass, when the high-tension wire fell on them at about 7pm.

When PUNCH Metro visited the Anekwes’ on Thursday, Nkem, a lawyer, stated that both ladies were initially rushed alive to the medical centre, adding that Oluchi could have survived if she was promptly attended to.

She said, “It was not only Oluchi that the wire fell on; it also injured Uju. I got to know about the incident at about 8pm. I quickly rushed to the university’s medical centre. When I got there, Uju told me that she and Oluchi had held each other’s hands as they walked to the hostel.

“The wire fell on Oluchi’s left arm, and the two of them were electrocuted. Oluchi lost consciousness immediately, while Uju managed to call out to passersby to help them.

“Both of them were rushed to the medical centre. The officials on duty requested their identity cards and said they would not do anything until the cards were brought. When I got to the centre, Oluchi was alive, as her eyes were open and her body was warm and normal, but only her left arm was stiff. I asked the medical personnel if any first-aid was given to her, but they did not reply me.”



As of the time of visit, Uju, who was said to be sleeping in an inner room, did not talk with PUNCH Metro.

Oluchi’s father, Chief Basil Anekwe, said Oluchi’s death was a great loss to the family. He added that the university’s authorities should ensure that his daughter’s autopsy was done, and a death certificate issued promptly.

He said, “On Sunday, when I saw Oluchi, she said I should send her some money for upkeep. On Tuesday, I was planning to send about N30,000 to her, when I learnt about the incident. I was initially told it was a mere accident.

“I am only glad that my daughter did not die returning from a party or an offensive place; she died returning from the presence of God. The university delegation this morning brought a letter to me from the VC.”

The mother, who was distraught, was said to be unavailable for comment as of the time of PUNCH Metro’s visit.

Our correspondent gathered that Oluchi’s remains would be taken to the Igbo-Etiti Local Government Area of Enugu State on Friday (today) for burial.

Meanwhile, the NANS, in a statement by the Public Relations Officer, South-West Zone, Jeremiah Olatinwo, said it would sue the electricity distribution company that owned the faulty wire to ensure compensation for the family.

The statement read in part, “The NANS shall be taking up this case alongside the University of Lagos Students Union to see to it that Oluchi’s family is compensated for the damages caused by the electricity distribution company.

“The unfortunate injury to Oluchi is an injury to all Nigerian students and we will not keep quiet in the face of the threat to our fundamental rights to life.

“We call on the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, and the Senate Committee on Power to sanction the electricity distribution company for its noncompliance to safety and health guidelines in its distribution and transmission.”

The Public Relations Officer, UNILAG, Mr. Olagoke Oke, however, said the workers were on the ground to attend to the injured ladies.

He said, “It is not true that the negligence of officials caused the lady’s death. The UNILAG workers were on ground, and they were with her till the very end.”

Stay updated with all Nigeria University news, Polytechnic news, Post-Utme and more; Join/Like Us now on Facebook and Twitter

 Don’t forget to share this news with your friends using the Share buttons below….

About the author


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Fatal error: Uncaught wfWAFStorageFileException: Unable to save temporary file for atomic writing. in /home/pauljosef/ Stack trace: #0 /home/pauljosef/ wfWAFStorageFile::atomicFilePutContents('/home/pauljosef...', '<?php exit('Acc...') #1 [internal function]: wfWAFStorageFile->saveConfig('livewaf') #2 {main} thrown in /home/pauljosef/ on line 35