University of Ibadan student injured in gas explosion

Report reaching liveschoolnews.org has it that, a 100-level medical student of the University of Ibadan (UI), Ogueze Chinyere, was injured in an inferno on Monday.

Liveschoolnews.com.ng grapevine gathered that, She was trying to cook at I Block of the Queen Elizabeth II female hostel when her cooking gas exploded.

Chinyere was immediately post-haste to the university’s Jaja Clinic.

Speaking exclusively to liveschoolnews.org grapevine, Gbemisola Akinyo, said the fire occurred around 8:02pm.

She said: “Chinyere wanted to cook around 8pm, but her camping gas was leaking. She had been carrying it with the head handle instead of the side handle. Her room mates knew her gas was leaking and told her to take it to the kitchen. She carried the already lit gas cooker and was on her way to the kitchen when it exploded. The fire affected her legs and other parts of her body.”

READ  Post UTME would soon be scrapped- JAMB Registrar

Akinyo alleged that the institution’s fire service did not respond on time to the fire.

Part of the hostel’s kitchen was burnt. No room was affected.

The institution’s Director of Public Communication, Olatunji Oladejo, said Chinyere sustained second degree burns.

He said students had been warned against cooking in their rooms.

The management of the institution advise all students to obey the hostels rules and regulation

READ  NLNG Supports Six Nigerian Universities With N2billion

Stay updated with all Nigeria University news, Polytechnic news, Post-Utme and more;
Join/Like Us now on Facebook and twitter

Don’t forget to share this news with your friends using the Share buttons below…

About the author

Admin

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Comodo SSL